Shank Hall---INTIMATE PAT!! (Or is it??)  1/3/03
April 20, 2014, 05:54:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shank Hall---INTIMATE PAT!! (Or is it??)  1/3/03  (Read 10503 times)
sweetepie
Nutjob

"Monkey Sitter"

View Profile Email
« on: January 03, 2003, 11:13:01 PM »

OMG!! This was one of the most memorable shows I've been to!!! ?It was phenominal!! ?Totally INTIMATE PAT!! ?Crowd was very light tonight.

Highlights that I (and Murf, and Sarah ?and Lisa can remember) are:Can't You See I'm in Love with You, This Time NExt Year, Auntie Purple's House, We Made Love, Somebody Else for a while, Antiques, You Need Me, Never Stop Lovin You, Girls Get in Trouble, and more! The regulars were Patty, Imagine, Knock Things Over, and of course Sex and Beer. ?

I"ve wanted him to play Girls Get in Trouble (for those of you who don't know that song, it's off of YIPES!) for like 6 months!! If not longer. Becky and Tish have also wanted that song for over a month, but he never plays it. SO... tongiht I told Becky that I wanted it, and she did too, so we took it upon ourselves to get on our knees and beg!! Sarah joined us in the begging for the song, and Pat loved the image so much that he ?took a black and white picture!! ?And of course he played the song!! He made our night!! ? Wink

He changed words to songs that started with an "S" --that had words in it that started with an "S"--and changed it to "shave." ? Wink

Lap dances included songs that had the word "Hey," in it.

This was also probably the only show I've been to where the ENTIRE, and yes I mean ENTIRE audience was able to get up on stage for Sex and Beer and actually fit on the stage-Comfortably? Just about. Yes, Pat made the entire audience (I think there were about 7 people cultivating the ass farm way in the back at the bar) get up on stage for Sex and Beer. It was so cool!! Looking out there and seeing NOONE sitting in their seats. Luckily someone had a camera. We almost even got PIPE to come up on stage.

If you missed the show, sucks to be you!! ? ?Tongue

This was definitely a greatest McCurdy Intimate (and non-intimate) show!

Nate and Tracy made it too. They had to catch a 6 a.m. flight for their cruise. Hope you guys have/had a great time!!!

To all a good night!! ? Kiss

Me, Myself, and I  !!!!!
g
Quite the PatHead

Bozer, get it away from your penis.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2003, 05:23:32 AM »

I'm sorry, but I don't believe this set list can truly be classified as "Intimate".  Though there are some rarities for sure, it sounds like Pat just didn't plot out what he wanted to play.  Pat is like a football coach, he plots out his first 6 or 7 "plays" if you will, scripted, and then takes off on a tangent from there, but still stays in line to satisfy the majority of the crowd, i.e. playing "Hey Paddy" and "Sex and Beer".  I think that if "S and B" is played at all, it's not an Intimate Pat.  For Intimate Pat, Pat usually rehearses, very rare for Pat to do, and scripts out BOTH sets of what he is doing.  His finale isn't "S and B", it's "Let's Have Sex" or "Let's Do That Again" or something.  Consult April 8 2001 for a true Intimate Pat list.
Pat definitely opens up the field with a sparseness of attendance, though, and he does seem like he plays more rarities at Shank Hall, but shows before the start of a new week often are his trial and error show; don't be surprised if he plays some of those gems Monday at the Beat Kitchen or Tuesday at the Regent Street Retreat when he scripts his opening.  So don't be too left out if you missed them.
 Sorry, I just think the "Intimate" title gets overused too much.

groovin'onundertraction...you bastards.
Paul
Has too much free time

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2003, 05:50:53 AM »

Um...Does it matter?  This may be the most nitpicking thing (that's kind of fun to say) that I've ever seen on this sight.  

And that's saying something.

Lippy is a buster.
g
Quite the PatHead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2003, 06:27:24 AM »

I'm sorry, Paul, is it?  I'm just throwin' insight into this site...ooo, that's like the Reverend Jesse Jackson talkin'.  If you want sheer nonsense scattered, go back to that Nate and Briguy tiff.  All I'm saying is that Pat usually posts shows on his schedule when he is doing Intimate Pat; there are people who look forward to attending those specific shows, and would be upset if INTIMATE PAT was performed without their knowledge.  Just soothing out that, and yeah, saying that the word "intimate" gets overused the same way I think "novelty" gets attached too much to songs frequent attenders hear more often than others.  So if I'm nitpickin', I'm nitpickin' and I'm grinnin'.
By the way, love the Walken pic, man:  "Two mice fall into a bucket of cream..."

Paul
Has too much free time

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2003, 07:18:13 AM »

I'm sorry, Paul, is it?

Well...yeah..."g", I presume?

If you want sheer nonsense scattered, go back to that Nate and Briguy tiff.

Don't tempt me. ?Unfortunately, I was sans internet when that was going on, and as we all know, Murf is the head of the Flogging the Dead Horse Dept. ?Suffice it to say, had I been around everyone would have been enjoying a tall, cool glass.

All I'm saying is that Pat usually posts shows on his schedule when he is doing Intimate Pat; there are people who look forward to attending those specific shows, and would be upset if INTIMATE PAT was performed without their knowledge. ?Just soothing out that, and yeah, saying that the word "intimate" gets overused the same way I think "novelty" gets attached too much to songs frequent attenders hear more often than others.

Yeah, sure, fine. ?But since Pat hasn't actually scheduled an IP show for a year now (remember when he said he was going to do one every other month in 2K2?) this is probably as close as you're going to get.

I was definitely annoyed that I had to be back in Boston on Thursday (Oh, thanks Sarah--I needed that!), as I knew this show would be sparsely attended (as the third Shank Show in two weeks), translating into a lot of old, obscure stuff. ?I'd say most of those who are really into that sort of thing had the same idea.

So if I'm nitpickin', I'm nitpickin' and I'm grinnin'.

Heh. ?I kinda like that. ?Still don't see the point, but it's a good line.

Lippy is a buster.
briguy
King of the Geeks
Nutjob

I am Oblique And Unique!

10127907 briesy123 britre
View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2003, 07:32:59 AM »

go back to that Nate and Briguy tiff. ?

There was no tiff, simply Nate trying to cause trouble without cause.

Now, I agree with both yourself and Paul on the "Intimate" thing. April, 2001? Now that was a show of all shows! There still has not been a comprable set list to that show where  Girls Get In Trouble, was side by side with, Don't Wait Another Day. And of course we all long for the days a set is opened with Wonderland of Love!

Unfortunately, due to expenses and budget I can personally only afford one Pat show a month. The cost of drinking and all, and the 1:00am Shank Hall show conclusion is not a good thing for me so I must be regulated to Paragon shows which are the best of both worlds.

Speaking of Paragon, I personally experienced rareities like Completely Blue, Girls Get In Trouble, One Night In Dreamland, and a Sex and Beerless show at Paragon. Scripted? Perhaps, done by who is present in the crowd, and how Pat is feeling that night? Most definitely.

And let us never forget August 2002 at Matty's where Long Goodbye was played for the first time since dinosaurs died.

I only come back when I want to make sure that I'm still in control
g
Quite the PatHead

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2003, 09:41:16 AM »

Briguy, did you get cut off? ?That's happened to me a number of times, and I had to go back and modify my message.  And yes, scripted, if you go to a show at the Beat Kitchen on Monday, you will hear the same first six songs at the Regent Street Retreat Tuesday, or DePere on Thursday, etc. Kind of a way to keep it flowing his way initially, check out crowd reaction, then play it from there.  You know, to have an early control before the shots come forward.

Paul, my large arm of the Mass law, I love you and don't ever change!
Yeah, I remember that once every other month promise back in 2001, that show ("Are the Sopranos on?"), and I would be really annoyed if I missed Intimate Pat. ?I guess the thread headline got to me. ?My point, I do have one, probably should be discussed under the Messages about the Website column. ?Which I will do when I organize my thoughts.  Thanks for your responses.

Chip
Nutjob

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2003, 10:34:14 AM »

I'm sorry, Paul, is it? ?I'm just throwin' insight into this site...ooo, that's like the Reverend Jesse Jackson talkin'. ?
Ummm, that's what it says. It says Paul.
And rhyming sight with site, Genius! ?Reminds me of the PinPals episode ?'...and when you rhymed Homer with homer...'
Perhaps the show was not billed as Intimate, but with about 75-100 people in attendace, (or whenever there is a low turnout) The show tends to take a turn away from the mainstream. ?In the future, so not as to offend or confuse anyone, might I suggest that we refer to these shows as Intimate-esque. Just a suggestion. Nah Screw it. I think we can and should use the term Intimate whenever we damn well please.

(as the third Shank Show in two weeks), translating into a lot of old, obscure stuff.

Note to Briguy:See, ?"A lot" is two words; One Night In Dreamland isn't really a ?that big of a rarity, and Long Goodbye has been played a few times in the past few years, albeit not very often.

/vent

As for the show itself: I arrived for the second set, which was very good, and yes, it was very wierd seing ALL of the tables and chairs empty for S&B. What I don't understand however, was why Pat kept facing forward to the non-existant audience which was now behind him. I think it would have been cool if he went out and sat at one of the tables and kept playing whilst the whole audience continued to frolic around on stage. Now that would have been a picture to see. ?

briguy
King of the Geeks
Nutjob

I am Oblique And Unique!

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2003, 10:54:04 AM »

Briguy: Now was that last post of yours really necessary?? It's ones like that that have nothing to do with the topic at hand, that irritate the rest of us.

/vent

Perhaps a sense of humor is in order rather than a sense of "irritation". However, in the interest of making you all happy, post removed.

Now then:

Note to Briguy:See, ?"A lot" is two words; One Night In Dreamland isn't really a ?that big of a rarity, and Long Goodbye has been played a few times in the past few years, albeit not very often.

"isn't really a ?that big of a rarity"? Time to fix the typo's there buddy or risk being hypocritical....[/quote]

I think it would have been cool if he went out and sat at one of the tables and kept playing whilst the whole audience continued to frolic around on stage. Now that would have been a picture to see. ?

Sometimes we do agree and comments are not nessesary with the exception of supporting anothers opinion and idea which I personally in this case find "Brilliant"!

sweetepie
Nutjob

"Monkey Sitter"

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2003, 12:31:41 PM »

GEESH SORRY!!! I didn't mean to cause so much controversey over whether the show was really a true intimate Pat show or not!!  After the first two songs Sarah and I looked at each other and said, "WOW!, this is like Intimate Pat!" And we gave a high five! (Then called Paul--and Paul I'm sorry but that was a hilarious conversation. I'm sorry I wasn't discrete enough about talking to you for those 5 seconds!!)  Kiss

I've been to my share of shows, as the majority of you all have. Yes, IP shows are generally listed on the schedule, however, if the crowd is very light, the show generally turns into a more of an intimate gathering of Pat heads--where not the norm of songs were played.
Nope, S & B are usually not played at IP, but if they're requested they're usually played.

I don't need to look back at other topics or schedules to see when a true IP show was performed. This may not have been a so called "true IP" as G so elequently put it, but it's as close as we've gotten in a year! (Much agreed with Paul on that!)

Me, Myself, and I  !!!!!
sweetepie
Nutjob

"Monkey Sitter"

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2003, 12:35:22 PM »

Perhaps the show was not billed as Intimate, but with about 75-100 people in attendace, (or whenever there is a low turnout) The show tends to take a turn away from the mainstream. ?In the future, so not as to offend or confuse anyone, might I suggest that we refer to these shows as Intimate-esque. Just a suggestion. Nah Screw it. I think we can and should use the term Intimate whenever we damn well please.

AMEN CHIP!!

And yes, that would've been so hilarious to see Pat out in the audience playing S & B while facing the stage!!

Me, Myself, and I  !!!!!
g
Quite the PatHead

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2003, 01:50:50 PM »

here we go again, turning everything in the wrong direction again.  All I was trying to say was that Sweetepie is advertising misinformation.  Let's shoot hypothetical: If you have a big headline that says,"Shank Hall--INTIMATE PAT!!", and you subscribe to a newsletter that didn't arrive on time (before anyone puts this in quotes, I'm not attacking Aphrodite here, this is hypothetical!) and you read that, you'd get pissed off before you even read the thread if you always wanted to see an Intimate Pat show.  Especially when you get advice from old Patheads, saying 'you should see when he does intimate Pat; it's awesome!!'  I just said it's misinforming.
What I want out of this bulletin board, I guess, is that I just recently joined this bunch, and I've only seen three new members join in the last month.  Maybe it's not a problem to the top 10 posters, but it means that any new potential Patheads aren't interested in joining this bulletin board.  It means that new browsers aren't getting anything out of this, or they're being mislead, or they're just scared to death of these arguments, which I wasn't trying to start in the first place, though, I will always defend my words.  
 To Mark:  I think you should reevaluate the message setup, such as "Review a Show" and "Review a Venue" and put it in one, "Review A Show and/or Venue", and make some room for a category like Messages for New Pat Fans, something introductory for people who just want to ask questions about who Pat is, how he picks songs, etc., something more informative to build up momentum in their Pat interest.  Then maybe they'll gain the courage to join in with the big boys in Messages to other Patheads.  Right now, it seems like every category is Messages to other Patheads.  Everyone just looking if Messages to Pat is a place to shout out "Hey, I'm Brett from Kiel"  finds a Pathead discussion on the new CD, and thinks that's not where you can try to address Pat.  
 When sweetepie says,"it sucks to be you!" if you don't attend a show, obviously, she's saying that to briguy, or Mark Lippert, but it comes off as slapping the face of a just devirginized Pat virgin who was just checking when Pat played in St. Cloud next and wandered too far down the edge of curiousity.  You have to be careful what you say in public, that's what I was saying with Nate and briguy before.  Because this is still a public bulletin board.  
I've talked to Pat about this, and that's his problem with this board, is that it's not informative to new eyes.  It's like a high school clique, and other people can't join in.  Honestly, I've never been really comfortable replying to anything because of this, but I will because I think I can add "insight into this site"...sorry, Chip, I thought this was clever.  I should have said "insight in this site", because 'in this' uses every letter in 'insight' except the letter...g.  
P.S. Chip, you waiting for the Wise Men to arrive before you take the Santa Claus hat off your pic?

briguy
King of the Geeks
Nutjob

I am Oblique And Unique!

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2003, 02:34:17 PM »

Way too go! Two things slap my face (and everyone eles too unless it is true);

they're being mislead, or they're just scared to death of these arguments, which I wasn't trying to start in the first place, though, I will always defend my words.

?It's like a high school clique, and other people can't join in. ?Honestly, I've never been really comfortable replying to anything because of this,

That is the core of the problem and I have to tell ya something as I know all that you speak of. Well all are very nice people, and great personalities, It takes a great effort to even get into the clique. Paul is one of the only I have seen that somehow was accepted without a whole lot of effort. But for others, the wrong statement of humor (when I say wrong, wrong to the clique), or one in the clique decides they don't like you, they all will not. Highschool is an understatement. Anyway, A LOT of this is childish and not relevant to what really was said and that was it was a great show! Chip was sort of right, however improperly said, we need to stick to the topics and quit the baby crap. Makes for bad vibes throughout this board, and you are right, it does scare newbies away for fear if they make a drunken typo, or a joke, they will be flamed severly or even banned. It does not and should not be that way. I have said my peace I believe. By the way, Pat does not visit this board. He hears things third hand and rolls with that either at shows as humor, or to create situations to enhance the Pat scene. Do not be offended by anything you see here, or Pat does at a show. He is an entertainer and it is simmilar to the insult comic. Nothing wrong with picking on the top poster AKA Geek who is constantly posting here. Obviously I am a huge fan, or I would be someplace else for a while AKA L*&^%

(Note to others: I promised no more bashing of anyone even if it is to make a point, so you will need to fill in the blanks, and this is not to say that person was not a fan, that person was in the best sense of the word)

Ok. I am off to get a life.... Shocked

?
P.S. Chip, you waiting for the Wise Men to arrive before you take the Santa Claus hat off your pic?

Very humorous. As they say, "Burn"

g
Quite the PatHead

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2003, 08:36:47 PM »

I went over what I said again, and I don't think I offended anyone, but I do have a question for Sweetepie, who I respect a lot...What's the joke with the "s" songs turned to "shave"?  I assume you mean the Kiss song would become "Shave it, shave it out loud", or "Take this Job and Shave It" by Johnny Paycheck?  This is funny why?

Murf
Nutjob

Pat's right hand,not the one that holds the pick

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2003, 07:02:08 AM »

When I got back to the room after new years,I tried to give myself a nice bikini trim so I would look hot in the whirlpool the next day.We want to market S+B speedos next year for summerfest,and I thought I could model for all the Patheads at the hotel.I was a little too drunk and now I'm regimental.If you saw me in a speedo,wouldn't you buy it just to get me to get dressed again?I had a big box and I could just keep putting another one on till I sold them all.Marketing genious.That's our story,and I'm stickin to it. Wink

Whenever I visit Alpine Inn,I get alcohol poisoning.Same with O'Gara's,Club Tavern,House of Rock,and Oktoberfest.I sense a pattern here.God,how I love roadtrips.I cant wait till casinos put in bunks right at the tables.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: